Friday, September 10, 2010

Moroccan Chicken with Fruit and Olive Topping

In going through my bookmarked recipes that I've recently made but haven't filed, I found this recipe that I thought I'd share.  Both Gavin and I found it to be very tasty!  And since it's a Cooking Light recipe, I guess it's also better for you!  (Recipe taken from here)

Prep time: about 15 minutes
Total time: about a half hour
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 TBSP olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp salt (I use Diamond Kosher Salt, which I love)
1/4 tsp black pepper (I eyeballed this with a pepper mill)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 c. onion, chopped
2 tsp bottled, minced garlic
3/4 c. dried mixed fruit (Gavin and I have a lot of dried fruit in our pantry.  When I made this, I used a combination of: apricots, cherries, white peaches and prunes)
1/2 c. dry white wine 
1/2 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. chopped pitted green olives (I used some with pimentos in the olives and didn't bother removing the pimentos)
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Preparation

1. Heat 2 tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and thyme evenly over chicken (I didn't bother measuring out--just eyeballed it).  Add chicken to the pan; cook 4 minutes on each side, or until done.  Remove from pan; cover and keep warm.

2. Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in pan (use the same pan you cooked the chicken in).  Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes until tender.  Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds.  Add fruit and remaining ingredients to pan; cook 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.

3. Place chicken on plate or in bowl and spoon the fruit mixture over the chicken.  (I can't remember what I served this with, but it would go nicely with rice, quinoa, or couscous.)


No comments: